The School is passionately committed to training and education in the art of contemporary dance.
To be an exceptional training program that helps shape the future of dance in Canada.
Dance is a powerful means of human expression. At The School of Toronto Dance Theatre, we are training creative people to perform, choreograph, and teach, and to assume leadership roles that will change the face of contemporary dance in Canada and around the world. The School is an invaluable foundation upon which the graduates of our core Professional Training Program can build, flourish, and create their own futures and a new vision for the art form and all of our students can share the joy and benefits of movement. We foster innovation in our students, so that they can be the innovators of the future. A strong dance foundation creates endless possibilities.
Through our Professional Programs, the School:
- provides training, education, and artistic and skills development, and networking opportunities to aspiring professional dancers
- supports the art form, contributing well-trained graduates to the profession
- engages exceptional professional faculty to provide outstanding and relevant instruction
- provides mentorship, connection, and exposure to current professional artists, and links to the professional world; and
- provides leadership to the field and leaders for the field.
Through our community programs, the School:
- provides inspiring training in creative movement and dance to people of all ages
- provides access to dance for our community, and creates new dance lovers; and
- advocates for dance, physical well-being, and arts education within the dance community and to the public-at-large.
Our Core Values
- artistic excellence
- healthy, progressive, and innovative training
- choreographic and creative development
- healthy working environment
- community, collaboration, and advocacy
Inspired dance training in Canada
For 50 years, the School has been training dancers who have been inspired by the depth of passion and the physical power of the human body in motion. Dance is an art form of kinetic expression, which both represents and reflects back to us our understanding of the world through the elements of time, space, energy, musicality, and dynamics. It can provoke joy and wonder, sadness and despair, humour and delight, and deep feelings of passion and spiritual awareness. As an art form it keeps us profoundly in touch with others, with our environment, and with ourselves.
Philosophically, training emphasizes the whole dancer – body, mind, and spirit – since excellent movement training engages the physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual aspects of our humanity. The School affirms its commitment to the education of all aspects of an individual through its strong and varied curriculum and through the provision of excellent role models in its faculty and guest artists.
The School strives for artistic excellence in teaching, stays vitally aware of ongoing developments in the art form, provides stable administration and financial management, and maintains a strong and responsible Board of Directors.
Through its dedication to excellence in the art form, the School is at the forefront of training in contemporary dance in Canada.
To read the School’s accessibility policy please click here.