Master Classes & Matinées
Each year, The School of Toronto Dance Theatre’s programs for schools encourage hundreds of students to experience and explore the physical movements of contemporary dance.
Our Master Class & Matinée program is the perfect complement to your arts curriculum, including:
On-site classes with our highly regarded faculty and talented live accompanists are tailored to meet the individual needs of your school group. These classes take place before a student matinée show and last for one hour, providing a fulfilling, whole-day learning experience for your students.
Featuring dancers from our Professional Training Program in new works and classic repertory; all performances are held in our on-site theatre, located in the heart of historic Cabbagetown.
During the matinée show, your students will experience:
- Performances of classic and/or new works by renowned choreographers (approximately 1 hour)
- Introductions to each work by the Artistic Director, the choreographer, or artistic staff
- Q&A session immediately following the performance, where students are introduced to the dancers, and encouraged to find out more about contemporary dance (approximately 20 minutes).
2016/17 Matinée Shows*
- IMPULSE 2016: Friday December 2, Thursday December 8
- ACCELERATION 2017: Wednesday March 22, Friday March 24
- MOMENTUM 2017: Friday May 5, Thursday May 11
*All dates, times, and programming are subject to change.
We’ve created the Educator’s Notes
to provide background information on the School and contemporary dance, how to book, theatre etiquette, dance resources, and suggested activities to follow up on your visit. It’s a document with helpful information for teachers and dance educators to better prepare your students for their visit.
We’re happy to arrange outreach visits throughout the year for local schools. These visits include a class led by a member of faculty, assisted by second-year Professional Training Program students. Our students will work with small groups within your class to develop a short phrase of choreography and develop movement, rhythm, and musicality. Contact us
to find out more!